Saturday, January 12, 2008

There Will Be Blood


Being a fan of Paul Thomas Anderson's work, I'm excited to be hearing all the buzz about his latest film:

There Will Be Blood.


P.T. Anderson excels in many areas of filmmaking: writing, directing ensembles, visual design & camerawork. I believe he's one of the modern masters of the medium. My personal favorite of his is Magnolia, an amazing piece of storytelling while, although brutal, shines through with redemption in the end.

One aspect that's exciting about TWBB is Daniel Day-Lewis' acting. I've read this is a jaw-dropping performance. I'm a fan of Day-Lewis' work from years past, especially My Left Foot and In The Name of The Father. Extremely talented and intense, he's one of the best actors of this generation. To see his acting paired with P.T. Anderson's directing will be powerful.

The other very exciting aspect of the movie is that Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead has performed the original music. I've read that it revolutionizes the way music works with a movie. J. Greenwood is already an incredible guitarist in his own right (as I've mentioned in the post-before-last), so to see him translate that talent into a movie soundtrack is intriguing.

Anyone interested in seeing this? I foresee a caravan to the theater.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The soundtrack is SICK!!!

I've had it for a few weeks now(Due to the fact that my friend
Tom is the biggest Radiohead-head
that I've ever seen and has everything that they've ever recorded)

The movie is gonna be Crazy!!

Anonymous said...

Check this out:

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2007/11/there-will-be-blood-preview-jonny.html

carolineb said...

I wanna go!

carolineb said...

Hey, did you like V for Vendetta? I thought it was awesome.

seantk said...

Caroline,

Either this is a tongue-in-cheek response you wrote after seeing a post I put on (I think) Annie's blog, or you're being earnest in asking......

anyway, I didn't like "V for Vendetta." Previews drew me in, but the actual movie didn't do it for me. I saw it with Dustin Sauls from church and we both came out of it with a kind of sick feeling from being doused in all the thinly-veiled political commentary. It pretty much laid out a firmly far-left POV. And the ending just fell flat for me.