So...... in response to some feedback about my not posting or commenting much lately (I mean...come on!! Last one was Monday, 1/28!)..... I will tell you what's been going on. We moved from our previous abode (renting it, I might add) in Lee's Crossing to my grandparent's old house on Hope St. My grandmother still owns it, technically, but my Dad is the estate comptroller (just wanted to use that sweet-a** word). So, we're renting this bad boy.
It's hilarious to be living in the house you used to visit often as a kid. It's this same layout that's buried in my memories, but now it's got Laura's famous decorative touch and our kids are running around in it. Surreal can't even begin to touch what I'm getting at. The weirdest things are:
- the pantry in the dining room still has this distinct smell that brings back childhood like a mutha.
- I can still picture Grapenuts, Vienna Sausages, and Cracklin' Oat Bran in the pantry. This was NOT a fun destination for snack food as a small child.
- the little mirror/medicine cabinets in the bathrooms (so old skool, yet cool!)
- the massive sliding doors on closets and pantries that can get "off track" and not roll correctly.
- the stencils of ducks on random objects in the kitchen
- the hideous stenciling in the utility room (that was BIG in the mid-to-late 80's)
- lying in my grandparent's bedroom, which is now our bedroom, staring at the wall and thinking, "this is the same frickin' POV I had when I was a kid taking a nap in this room with my grandma! Whoa!"
- how small the backyard is now that I'm a grown-up
- how big that small tree I remember as a kid is now
I could go on, but you get the point. It's a great house. I'm nearly right across the street from David Eldridge and his family, which is a bonus, as we've been great friends since high school. We are enjoying the place and still need to find a home for all the contents in boxes in the carport, but that's news for another post..... I will try to post some pictures soon.