Sunday, September 16, 2007

Avoiding the Black Hole

One of the things that blows my mind when I think about it is the eternal nature of God. Our society grows more fast-paced and temporary, day by day. So much is disposable. While we live on this spinning planet, working out the victories and frustrations of life, God sits above it all, in a wholly different time-space. Here, from God's P.O.V., He sees it ALL. He not only sees everything in my life --- what's been and what will be --- but He sees every single human being's life, from beginning to end. He sees the beginning of human time and the end of it. To stretch farther, He sees before human time began and afterwards throughout eternity. It is truly mind-blowing.

I believe people sense the emptiness of much of our modern times. The "malaise," so to speak. When so much of the media is focused on celebrities, you can see where things are headed. They are our modern "gods," when we remove God from our lives. These people are built up into ideals which they cannot fulfill. I'm sure, in their heart of hearts, they sense how utterly silly it is when someone screams or faints in their presence. They must think, "What? It's just me. I know who I am and there's no use for that type of amazement." What's even more sad and dangerous is when a celebrity actually buys into the fantasy and believes themselves to be of such importance. This is when the ugly face of humanism shows itself naked; the behavior is linked in similarity to that of Lucifer, when that beautiful being decided that he wanted some of the glory due to God.  I hate to "go there," but look at the case of Paris Hilton. I'm not one to really follow her life, but it was hard to avoid when she was put in jail. Every form of media had something to say. Now, as for who Paris Hilton is and what she's famous for, that's where we find ourselves dumbfounded. She is not famous for anything, in particular, except that she's a celebrity. She's just famous. She, I believe, is the ultimate in emptiness. Her image is everything, she apparently has a very high opinion of herself and her opinion obviously is important, at least in her mind. She is a vacuous black hole of an ego.

Now I circle back around to make this point: God is all-consuming and eternal. God exists outside of our time and space, although He also interacts on our playing field, which is double amazing. God is WORTHY. We are not worthy of that sort of praise. Celebrities are not worthy of that sort of praise. We, as a people, are built to worship....something. When God is not on the radar, other things, people, and obsessions fill that space. It's a travesty. When the true identity of that object is revealed, the charade is up and we see it for what it is - not worthy. Not worthy of the time and energy we invested. I remember one girl growing up who loved the band, The Cure. I used to listen to them a good bit, too, back in the day. When I spoke to her years later, I asked if she still liked them. She commented that, no, she really didn't like them too much anymore and she had moved on to other music. She said that it was a sort of "high school" crush she had on them, but now it was gone. It's so funny to me to see how I can observe that pattern in my life. I have "crushes" on certain things, things that capture my attention for a brief spell then go out like a candle.

I am asking God that, by His grace, I will be able to focus my attention, my time, my energy on this earth toward eternal things. With the recent loss of Laura's sister, Bekah, it has forced me to put the brakes on life and examine what's important. Our lives here are out of our hands; we don't hold much control, if any. I want to discard the illusion that I call the shots. I want to embrace the reality that God is the Alpha and the Omega and I am a slight blip on the timeline of this earth's history. May I act and live wisely.

1 comment:

carolineb said...

I love this post. Thanks for the chance to compare temporary with eternal. That's funny, I never thought about what Paris Hilton is famous for. Nothing at all.